Sunday, September 21, 2008

How do we cultivate peace in ourselves and the world?


"Perhaps the key to transforming war is to give so much joy to the world that we all stop needing violence to reduce our frustrations, ignorance and fear."

Today is the International Day of Peace as designated by the United Nations. I thought I could say a few words on behalf of this day to bring some awareness and attention to its meaning. Sometimes I get so down and negative on everything that's going on in the world today. I check http://www.bbc.com/ and it seems that there's a new conflict everyday: "Russia invades Georgia", "devastating floods in India, Cuba and Haiti", "deadly bomb kills diplomat in Pakistan", "US faces worst financial crisis in history", "British soldiers killed in Iraq"...the list goes on. But are these events really that surprising when I see daily events in people's personal lives (on a smaller scale obviously) that mirror these global conflicts? I myself struggle with getting along with some people, I see relationships and marriages fail, friendships end...That's why I do yoga and meditate. I pray for peace and will dedicate my yoga practice today to inner and outer (world) peace. I wish it for you today. I wish it for everyone in this world.

Blessings and Namaste,
Anna

No comments: