Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Attention as an Art Form

You have to read this article. Really, really good.

"Learning how to think really means learning how to exercise some control over how and what you think. It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to, and to choose how you construct meaning from experience.It comes down to working with the core property of human experience -- attention, which can be broken down into four key aspects:

1. awareness
2. choice
3. engagement
4. flow

Every moment affords an opportunity to start paying attention, and as I do, I realize its gift. First and foremost, it is a gift to my own self, bringing me back to a place of inner alignment. Then, as I start to benefit from it, I can gift it to others. And finally, it is a gift that takes me beyond my own limited notions of identity and self-interest.

It can all begin right now, just with an intention to be aware. That increased awareness opens up windows of choice, and as I start to make more informed choices, I deepen the quality of my experience. In making this a continuous effort, I evolve from unconscious processing, to subconscious registering, to conscious awareness, to engaged learning; or, from data to information to knowledge to wisdom. Instead of just going with the flow, I can actually grow with the flow.(Attention as an Art Form, 2011)


Here is the full article: http://www.dailygood.org/view.php?sid=80

No comments: